Tuesday 5 May 2009

Boudoir Photographer Cathy Empey - Interviewed








In the first of my Boudoir photographer interviews, Id like to introduce you to a photographer whos work and style I admire. Cathy Empey is a boudoir photographer in the Fraser Valley of British Columbia, Canada.

Heres where I would go on to tell you a bit more about her but as she does it so well herself, take it away Cathy…



I am left handed, and I look through my camera with my right eye! When I was pregnant with my sixth and final baby, I had some professional maternity photos done of myself. Even though I weighed over 200 pounds at the time, and I had huge cankles...I still felt beautiful and sexy.


My photographer at the time (and now friend) made me feel absolutely beautiful. So, after my little girl Courtney was born in mid November 2007, I decided I wanted to help other women feel beautiful and sexy too. I figured if I feel this way, I know there are many other women that felt exactly the same way I did. So, I decided then and there I wanted to be able to give this wonderful experience to others. So, I talked to my now friend, and she came over and gave me a lesson on her digital SLR, and she loaned it to me for a week. And she loaned me a book on exposures.

That week was the best week ever. Between feeds, and diaper changes I would shoot away. It was exactly what was missing in my life. My creativity and passion came back! It was a very thrilling feeling to be able to create again. I hadn't used a camera in manual since my high school 20 years ago. It felt great to use a camera other than a point and shoot. After that week was up. I gave the camera back to my friend.
The very same week my husband looked on our local Craigslist and bought me the same type of camera. I was thankful to my husband for all of his encouragement. Finally I found my creative side again, and even happier I could use my camera to help make women feel beautiful and sexy. My passion found again.

At first I was too nervous to photograph a real woman, so I practiced first on my girls' Barbies, I soon found the courage to shoot my first boudoir session in August of 2008. And I was hooked. And the emails and calls began. I have been booked solid ever since! I am so thankful for all of the sessions I have done. Each and every woman unique, and I love finding their sexy beauty. Amazing!


Now Down to some questions

So lets start with the obvious, why Boudoir?
I am very passionate about helping ALL women feel sexy and beautiful. My camera is my tool to help me do just that. I believe that ALL women must have a boudoir session for themselves. I knew I wanted to help others feel the way I did during my maternity shoot. The realization that we are all beautiful and sexy. Sometimes we just need an outside person to help us find it. That is where I come in. My job is to find that beauty! I have the best job in the whole world


How long have you been photographing Boudoir?
August of this year will mark one year. It has been a very exciting time in my life, and I look forward to continuing working with lovely women from all over.

How would you describe your style?
My style is modern, fresh and saucy. Sassy sexy photographs for all women.



What did you photograph before you got bitten by the boudoir bug?
Up until the beginning of last year, the only photos I took were photos of my kids, and family members. On my old point and shoot. I would take the odd photos of flowers in the yard etc.





More about you, where did you grow up?
I was born in Vancouver, B.C. and raised in Richmond, B.C. Canada. We now live in Langley, B.C. Canada.




I have relatives in Canada I’ve never met, would love to visit for a holiday soon, do you have a favourite holiday destination?
Hmmm. It is hard to narrow down to one location! I would have to say Whistler, BC. Home to the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics. Also, you should go to Victoria, B.C. It is beautiful there! Be sure to Google!


Boudoir photography is still in its infancy in the UK, how is it seen in Canada?
I know there are quite a few photographers that shoot boudoir, but very few if any who specialize in boudoir like I do. I love specializing in boudoir!




What’s your favourite boudoir pose?
Hmmm. There are so many that I like, but I would have to say a more traditional boudoir poses, but with a twist.






Can you show us some of your recent work?







Do you have a favorite photographer living or dead?
Hmmm. I would have to say Annie Leibovitz. She is so inspiring. I remember that pregnant Demi Moore Vanity Fair cover so very well. I remember I was pregnant at the time, and thought she is really brave! The cover paved the way for us all!



What is the best thing for you about shooting Boudoir?
I would have to say the best thing about shooting Boudoir is making the women feel sexy and beautiful. I love to meet all of these great women, they all have such interesting stories and backgrounds. And, of course their reasons for doing their boudoir sessions. I also love that I get to do maternity boudoir as well. The pregnant form is so beautiful. And because I was pregnant so much, I feel I can relate very well to how my client is feeling. I can relate to how ALL of my clients are feeling, because I have been there. I have felt the same feelings, and so I feel I can give them a very happy experience that they will remember for a very long time. I also love it when they see the finished photos and cannot believe that they could
look that good! And they ALWAYS do! It is very rewarding to see my clients so very happy.


Does anyone or anything influence your photography?
I am really influenced by shapes, and colour. Textures even. I also love to look through magazines, and even photos online. But, I also stay true to my style. I shoot what I love. And usually it works. I try not to compare my work to other Boudoir photographers. I really work on my own Cathy style. I am an original, and so my work should be too!


Who is the most important person in your life?
I would have to say my husband Cliff (also my biggest support person!) And of course how can I not include my six kids. My team Empey.



I know here in the UK some peoples initial reaction is that I am a glamour aka nude photographer, do you get a similar reaction and how do you deal with them?
I have never had a reaction like that yet! So far so good. Boudoir seems to pretty popular Canada. But my goal is to make it even more well known. And shout out to the world that Boudoir photography is for every woman!


If you could shoot with any other photographer in the world who would it be?
Hmmm. That is so tough to limit to just one person. I would have to say Jessica Claire. (www.jessicaclaire.net) as I think she would be fun to hang out with and talk about hair products! I also like her use of colour! I am all about the colour!


Do you provide any wardrobe for your clients? If so whats your favourite item?
I do not provide wardrobe, but I have been known to lend out my own high heels if they are needed! I do give a lot of wardrobe help though before the sessions, so that my clients come to me well prepared, and feeling like a million dollars! That feeling shines through in the photos. When they look good, they feel great!


PC or Mac? I am am MAC girl all the way!


When your not working as a photographer what do you enjoy doing?
Well, I would have to say go running. I was training for a marathon, but I got injured. So, I am trying to rest and heal my injury. When I am not running I like to go out for coffee with husband, and with my friends. Or, just surf the net.


Finally any advice you would give to budding boudoir photographers wanting to start out?
Take your time and learn everything about your camera. Get a book and write down all of your ideas and dreams for your business. Be sure to take lots and lots of photos. Not just Boudoir. Photograph everything around you! Be confident that you can shoot in any situation. Then, start practicing. Ask your friends if you can do a free session for them, and before you know it, you will have lots of clients. Good luck. It has been so rewarding to help other women realize just how beautiful they are.


More about Cathy and her work can be found at:


http://www.boudoirbycathyempey.com/
http://www.boudoirbycathyempey.com/

www.murrayvillemom.blogspot.com


Cathy , thank you for taking the time out to do this for us.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea Helen, and good interview. I hope the interviews are a big success for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! Cathy shot my boudoir in September! It was an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview Helen,

    I can see that a being a female boudoir photographer gives a unique insight and empathy for the client. But then being male the communication is on a different level, which leads to different imagery.

    Cathy is inspiring as is your idea for interviewing boudoir photographers. I look forward to the next instalment!

    Pat Bloomfield
    http://www.innerbeautyphotography.com/
    http://www.patb-photography.co.uk/confidential-portraiture/

    ReplyDelete